"Suicide is a permenant solution to a temporary problem"
If you are feeling suicidal call 911 or 1-800-Suicide
The National suicide rate is 3 per 100,000 People. The Transgender Transsexual suicide rate is 31% of our group. Over 50% of Transsexuals will have had at least one suicide attempt by their 20th birthday. Even more self harm themselves daily either by cutting or self mutilation.
The Warning Signs
- Talking about death or suicide
- Feeling hopeless, helpless, or worthless
- Not enjoying things one usually enjoys
- Using drugs or alcohol
- Feeling tired or sleeping all the time
- Not having an appetite or overeating
- Crying a lot or being angry a lot
- Having difficulty concentrating
- Feeling easily frustrated and giving special things away
Suicide Risk FactorsAlcohol use is a huge risk factor for suicide. Often a person who dies by suicide has been drinking prior to his or her death. Depression is another major risk factor. Between 90-95 percent of people who attempt suicide are suffering from some sort of mood disorder or substance use disorder.
Suicide occurs most often in the fall and spring. April and May are the months when the most deaths occur. (It may be that when others begin to cheer up after the long winter, those who are depressed feel even more alone when they don’t cheer up like their friends and family.) Unmet expectations before and during the holidays, and the let down after the holidays pass, make this another time of risk.
A person who has been physically, emotionally, or sexually abused is also more at risk for suicide. Abuse harms a person’s sense of self and can lead to feelings of worthlessness, helplessness, and depression. Unresolved grief around the memory of a loved one who has died can also be a risk factor. Thinking that one will never fit in at school, and that life is hopeless when so alone can also be a risk factor as well.
Suicide Risk Factors: Children, Adolescents
- Relationship problems
- Feeling hopeless
- Parents not getting along and not being involved with their children
- Anger at and wanting to “pay back” parents when mad at them
- Alcohol and drug problems in the family and community
- Feeling worthless
- Because other kids are doing it
Transgender Suicide Awareness:This video addresses transgender Inequality, suicide and discrimination: Transgender Inequality